We are a Christian fellowship of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, that exists to serve you.
It is Luther Memorial Church's Mission to share God's love through worship, teaching, outreach, hospitality and serving.
Growing In Faith In Jesus Christ | Forgiveness, patience, passion, discipleship, teaching. Unconditional Love | Caring, compassion, tolerance, forgiveness. Personal Integrity | Respect, trust, honesty, reliability, commitment, discipline. Community | leadership, innovation & excellence.
- i.  God created and is sustaining all that exists as revealed to us in the Holy Bible.
- ii. God became a human being in Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified and risen. In Jesus we know and respond to God's love and forgiveness of sin by grace alone.
- iii. God works by the Holy Spirit and through his people for the redemption of humanity.
- iv. God changes lives through the good news of Jesus Christ by calling us to:
- Witness and welcome all people, no matter their status in life.
- Show and share God's love.
- Continual renewal and growth in Christ
- Practice compassion and justice in our world
- v. That we have a foundation for ministry in the historical witness in the Christian Church, in the ecumenical creeds, and the Lutheran confessions.
In 1941 establishing a congregation in the newly developed subdivision of Broson Manor was a missionary’s vision. Reverend Adolph Kappes Sr. was that missionary. After convincing the Wartburg Synod of the merits of his dream, four lots were purchased on 84th street and a house on 91st to serve as interim church.
Accommodations were difficult; initially there were no bathroom fixtures, there were no sidewalks, there was a dirt floor in the basement, and a wall between the downstairs bedroom and the living room had to be removed so that literally the whole first floor could be used for seating. Regardless, due to the moratorium on new construction during the war, the little house would have to serve the fledgling community of faith for the next 6 years.
Pastor Kappes Sr. held the very first service on June 7th 1942. In November of the same year, the congregation was officially organized and the name Luther Memorial chosen due to the date's proximity to "Reformation Day".
With the war over in 1947, the drawings of Architect Hugo Haueser were approved and Bert Jaeger was given the contract to build the first structure, now our present chapel. While The Lutheran Brotherhood and the Board of American Missions helped finance the project, a considerable amount of donated labor from the congregation and friends ultimately made it's completion possible. The project was completed on September 25th, 1949.
The Church with it's limited seating capacity of 135 continued to serve the growing community for a little over a decade. Eventually in 1962, as crowds were overflowing out into the transcript, it was unanimously agreed that additional facilities were becoming an urgent a matter of neccessity. Rudy Lohmann headed the fund raising efforts together with a dedicated group of church leaders. Mr. Harvey Wagner, a gifted and dedicated member, produced the preliminary drawings and Mr William Roth, a building contractor, was designated to begin preparatory planning for the present day church in 1966. Plans were made for a 650 person capacity nave with an open sanctuary in modern gothic lines to compliment the first worship center.
When in 1971 Reverend Adolph Kappes Sr. decided to retire, his eldest son accepted the call to become our second pastor. A much needed, new parsonage was constructed on South 83rd St. to provide a home for Pastor Adolph Kappes Jr. and his family.
Reverend Kappes Sr. continued to serve the Lord and the congregation in an active manner even in his retirement. On Easter Monday of 1975 he retired to be with his Heavenly Father. We are forever grateful to God for his leadership, sacrifice, and dedication to Luther Memorial Church.